Our Adoption From Ukraine

Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Well we are still here in Kiev for the time being.We have been having a great time hanging out with Bob & Susane…I have been making some notes on my thoughts, doings and general info, so here we go....
1. all the woman are skinny
2. the majority of the woman are good looking
3. the men are NOT
4. you need to go to McDonald’s to but something, to the get code on your bill to use the WC (water closet – AKA bathroom). Trust me….it’s a GOOD bathroom
5. ketchup costs $$$ at McDonald’s
6. all the bread is dry
7. there is no healthy menu at McDonald’s
8. our apartment is 5 long blocks from Khreschatyk Blvd, 3.5 of those blocks are uphill!!!
9. Susane chasing her cold medication down with a beer
10. beer is sold on the streets
11. you rarely see a drunk person, but everyone is drinking
12. old men (40+) are with young woman (20’s and younger)
13. washing cloths in the sink
14. all woman were high heels and I mean high and are all dressed up
15. they walk on the cobblestone streets in their heels
16. we do not have even ONE English station on our TV, not even BBC!!
17. they park and drive on the sidewalks…I feel like I am back in Mexico City
18. they are crazy drivers

More to follow.....

And now, for the reason we are here. We had our appointment at noon today. It went well. I was super nervous before the appointment, but Y had us talking about other things on the way, so I forgot about it for a few minutes…I am not going to go into any real details right now, I am going to wait until we meet them and decide to go ahead with the adoption, there are so many things that could change our minds…. We did get a referral for a boy and a girl. We are leaving Kyiv tomorrow on the 7:30 p.a. train and will arrive in Donesk on Friday a.m. at 7…. I know, can you imagine me on a train?? Horrors!! I don’t expect to post until we meet the children and fell confiendt that we are going to precede, or if we decide not to adopt them for what ever reason.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thats terrific news that you got the referral that you wanted (a boy and a girl) and I can't wait to hear more details when you feel ready to share them.

Thats one heck of a long train ride but then again, it could be very interesting and at least you get to see more of the country (sort of depending on when it gets dark).

Sending many more hugs your way and best wishes that everything goes smoothly.

Valerie
xxx

2:20 PM  
Blogger adoptedthree said...

Donetsk is a great region! Usually faster then most. What a great referral cant wait to hear more!

2:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brad, I feel like such a creep. When you waved to me on Thursday at lunch, I didn't realize you were leaving and not coming back for a month. I thought you were just waving for the heck of it and I would see you upstairs at the meeting in 5 minutes. Anyway, I just wanted to say sorry. Hope everything is going well down there. Good luck and see you soon. Jane

3:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good Luck!!!
Our thoughts and prayers are with you!!
nancy

3:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I'm so excited for you and REALLY jealous that you are there. Our time will come soon. I can't wait to hear about your kids!

4:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have tears in my eyes right now, you guys have been waiting sooooooooo long for this day and it is finally all coming together!
I know things will go well and I will continue to pray!
All the best and I will for sure be reading!!!!!
Chera

8:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One quick question does O'Brians Irish Pub serve perogies and are they better than Brads Mom's???

Glad to hear about your referal and can't wait to read about your accomidations in the countryside.

Loretta

8:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Guys,

Happy to hear things are going well.

Kim: I was really interested in your observations of the people. I totally agree with everything you say. Its funny how everyone in Europe is always drinking and eating good food, but they are never drunk and over weight.

I couldn't believe it when I got back from my 8 month excursion of drinking beer and eating wurstel to find I'd lost 30lb's. My mom basically old me she thought I was sick and should fatten up.

Brad: Any difference in the cuisine? (IE: Perogies! How do they serve them there? Lots of onion and sour cream???)

Brad: Hows the beer? I tried Ukrainian beer at a tasting in Yorkton and it was good. It seemed sweeter than domestic, but still good.

Both: I hope things all go well in Donetsk. Trully, we all hope you find little angels there :-)

All the best,
Lee, Treena, Kara and Nolan

12:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home