Our Adoption From Ukraine

Friday, October 07, 2005

It’s been a very strange week. Things are finally setting in. My boss said today that she is going to do a mass run to change all my clients to Claire (she is doing my ½ of Ontario when I am gone). It was weird. Made it feel so final. Made me feel a little sad…my clients. Claire said she is a little sad to…but for a different reason – she get stuck with my clients.
We went to see Darla (our adoption coordinator) on Wednesday night along with Dolores (who is going 2 ½ weeks after us) to go though some final details. Brad looked like he was going to throw up! He is way more freaked out by this trip than I am. But the end of the night I was getting pretty freaked out as well. Darla says I have to be the "rock". Nice try, we are going to be quite the pair.

I guess that all we can do if hope that things continue to go as well as they have. I said to Darla and Dolores on Wednesday that every thing has gone perfect for us so far. It can keep going perfect or crash.
1. I said that I wanted my registration letter in my mailbox when I got back from Mexico. Well I got home a day late and low and behold it came that date.
2. I said I wanted my appointment by November 1st and we got an appointment on October 25. On a side note, one couple that got their registration letter a couple of weeks before us and one that got theirs a day or two after we got ours, their requests for an appointment got lost. They had to resubmit the letters and did not get an appointment letter. Instead they got a letter stating that they were booked up for the year and would be receiving a letter in December 2005 or January 2006 advising them of an early 2006 appointment.
3. The "optional" 30 day wait period to bring the children back to Canada (after the court date) has been changed to a mandatory 10 day wait. Before some judges were waiving the 30 days and some where imposing it.

All we can hope for is out luck to continue.

1. We have a safe, uneventful flight from Winnipeg to Chicago to Amsterdam to Kiev.
2. We get a referral of a health boy and girl on our first appointment.
3. The referral is for an area that has five happy faces and not one happy face and four sad faces! Five means it a "good" area (to deal with).

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kim & Brad
WOW! It just seems like yesterday that you told me you were looking into the Ukraine for adoption.It's finally here and I know I speak from ALL your friends when we say " we can hardly wait to meet your new family" we love you and have a safe and healthy trip! See you when you return.

Tracy, Kevin and Bryce

12:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kim,

It is so amazing that you are going to finally get your family! These kids are going to be really lucky kids to have you and your husband as parents! I wish you all the best on your trip and can't wait to hear more about ti!

12:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home